Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog Assignment #8

This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2


             Having the multimedia would be a greatest change we have had in a long while.  Using the multimedia would be a great asset to those in the reading and writing fields.  By using multimedia it gives people, students, teachers and learners a like gain access to all books and knowledge available on the web.  We can see all things on the web, communicate with video and texts as well.  You can create a document made up of sound, music, and verbal collaboration that is found through the web.  All the information  a person can think of is on the web, which is all students and teachers need to create projects and other things as well.
            The use of the web and its information has progressively grown in the past years, information that people thought would never be available for the public is accessed with just a few strokes of a keypad or a mouse click away.  That is what I think Dr. Miller is trying to express to us in his two part video of How We Dream.  And I agree with Dr. Miller, I believe that soon all students are going to be using digital devices to make their work come to life, instead of just typing in word processing.  Using the multimedia would allow better access for students for not just learning, but they could also grow from that technology to make something better as well.  Technology is never going to quite growing, and with how fast it changes we have to make sure we are changing with it just as quickly.
           I believe with a little time a effort I would be able to write with multimedia.  I know I don't have the best computer skill, but I would surely try my hardest.  And if there came a point to were I did not understand something I would try to find someone who could show me.  For younger students, they would have a leg up in the situation, the main reason being that since they are so young they would catch on to the computer
 skills that much quicker.  And so when the technology continues to grow they will know what to do because they have used the technology so much.
The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies
          Watching both of those videos made me really think.  Not just about the point they were trying to get across or how great of an actress Jamie Lynn is, but all the excuses and blame students push on their teachers when they turn in their assignments late or not at all.  While viewing these videos it gave me an idea of what I would like to make a video of one day to stick on YouTube for people to view. I would love to make a video of some of they key excuses that students make and post them on the web.  Because I have noticed that most of the excuses that students come up with are quite funny and unbelievable.  It would also be useful for beginning teachers who just graduated and are starting their first job.


Critiques of Smartboards 


          I have read several different reasons about why smartboards are useful and class setting and why they are unnecessary.  The up side to have the smartboards from what someone wrote was how it keeps the students interested in the lesson and not on other things because they can interact better with the boards.  And it is also a great way to save the work that was done in class so the teacher may be able to print it off for a student who may have been sick.  The unnecessary standings are that they are a waste of money that could have been used on other things, and they believe it also takes away from the interaction of the student and teacher relationship in class. Both of these people have great points to what they are arguing about but I believe they are both correct.  Mainly for the fact that everyone has a right to their opinion on specific subjects, and this is no different from any other feud. Except for how it involves the students! And when I interviewed students at Axis Middle school all the children seemed to enjoy them a lot more than just the normal boards we had growing up.  They were more involved and more anxious to get class started just because they knew they may have a chance to play on the board.





           

1 comment:

  1. Great post Crystal!

    I agree, students, are and will use digital technology to make their work come to life. Dr. Miller is talking about a whole new way of reading, writing, and educating in general. He is envisioning what I believe we are headed for, an entire new concept of literacy. And as Dr. Miller indicated the pedagogy to teach and learn in this way has not even been invented yet. But, we are working on it. All of us in education are currently engaged in this educational/technological revolution whether we like it or not. Will you embrace it? I hope so. I know I do. It is an exciting time to be involved in education. SS

    ReplyDelete